Tuesday, August 3, 2010

The Good, The Bad and The Ugly...

There are actually quite a few C Melodies on Ebay, most in pretty good condition, but I was looking for a real "project," something that would satisfy my repair bug.  This Buescher from 1922 seemed to fit the bill - in need of some serious TLC, and similar to the one Frank Trumbauer is holding in the iconic photo of him.  So, I made an offer, and my new C Melody arrived a week or so after I won the auction.

The Good...

What's not to like about an old saxophone?  -the beautiful lines, the intricate engraving, the history, and, oh yeah, the funky smell.  Hey, this could have been Tram's own horn!  There are even some microphone nicks in the bell.






The Bad...

Gee, some packing peanuts might have been nice.  As I feared, the horn arrived with only a little paper around it and with nothing but a cardboard box around the case.




The Ugly...

Although the packing job didn't seem to have any harmful effects on the horn or case, there are some old wounds that need tending.




I wanted a project, and that is exactly what I got!  Overall, it's not really in terrible shape.  Most of the plating is still there and will polish up nicely.  Also, all of the snap-in resonators are there and the body isn't bent.  The dent in the bow is a pretty easy fix with the right tools.  The main problem with it is that, when it was hit, the fin was knocked off.  Stay tuned for the disassembly (intentional or otherwise) and cleaning.  I think my mold allergies are kicking in!


1 comment: